Monday, February 4, 2008

Zoey 101 to Pregnant Pop Star: Jamie Lynn Spears

ADINA JICK '10 and BECCA PLESKOW '10

Jamie Lynn Spears is 16 years old and has recently announced her pregnancy with her boyfriend, Casey Aldridge. She has decided to keep the baby and raise it with the help of her mother, Lynne Spears. Lynne was shocked when Jamie Lynn informed her of her pregnancy over Thanksgiving. Lynne has been quoted saying, "She's never late for her curfew. I was in shock. I mean, this is my 16-year-old baby." The pregnancy is not the only issue Jamie Lynn is facing. Her boyfriend, who is 19 years old, might be charged with a misdemeanor for having intercourse with someone under the legal age. Even with all of her struggles, Jamie Lynn seems optimistic about her mothering abilities, “I love babies, and I have my nephews that I love.”

Jamie Lynn has the power to influence adolescent girls all around the world through her popular television show. In fact, despite her pregnancy, she is still filming her hit Nickelodeon show, “Zoey 101”. This move proved controversial due to her current condition. Concerned parents everywhere have the same question: “What kind of message is this sending to young girls?”

Does Jamie Lynn stand behind her choices? Apparently she does, "I definitely don't think it's something you should do; it's better to wait," she says. "But I can't be judgmental because it's a position I put myself in." Concerned parents also ask, “Could this have been prevented through more effective sex education? Is it right to allow a 16 year old to raise a child?”

After asking Beaver kids, we learned that some students feel that we, at Beaver, do not have adequate sex education. “Our teachers fail to acknowledge that kids are sexually active,” stated one Beaver student. Although many students feel Beaver does not have the best sex education, they seem confident that they have the ability to make an informed decision. One student commented, “Jamie Lynn Spears is a bigger idiot than anyone else at our school.” Although students do not envy her position, they do feel sympathy for her, “I feel bad for her, and celebrities are under a lot of pressure.” Hopefully, Jamie Lynn Spears will be able to handle the paparazzi and a new born. We will just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I had not known much about the state of the younger Spears child, I am glad to learn more. Boy, she sure has a lot of 'splaining to do...